Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Observation logs Q3 (All for the Quarter)

Jamuary 31st, 2014

Used my Celestron Optical scope outside of my house.

Observed Orion, Gemini, Taurus, Sirius, Saw Venus in the southeast.
Total time: 45 Minutes


February 9th, 2014

Used same telescope, observed from outside of my house in a flat area.

Was able to observe a lot. Included Auriga, Orion, Taurus, Pegasus, Cassiopeia, Andromeda and each corresponding bright star(s): Capella, Betelgeuse and Rigel, M103, Gamma Andromeda, and Orion's nebula, the Horse-head Nebula.

Total time: 1 hour 15 minutes

February 24th, 2014

Usual Telescope, Usual spot

Went out around 8:00 and observes the International space station as it crossed the sky. I was not able to see very clearly due to some cloud coverage, however I was able to catch a few glimpses of it. It was very interesting, and I was able to get a decent view of the station, not in great detail, but it was visible enough for me to make out what it was. There was enough visibility for me to also make out Jupiter, Mars (later that night), Orion and its star Betelgeuse, and Orion's Belt (Clouds covered the rest of the constellation), and Canis Major.

Total Observation time: 2 Hours

March 1st, 2014

Because I was not able to make it to astronomy night, I decided to be there in spirit and do observations on my own! The weather was pristine for observing the night sky, so I decided to soak it all in while it lasted, before spring starts and it turns rainy. I was able to make out Jupiter, with its moons as well, Cassiopeia, Orion, with its belt, Betelgeuse and Rigel, and the Horse-head nebula, Triangulum, Ursa Major, or the Big Dipper, Pegasus, and Taurus. I made a lot out of this opportunity, as this night could not have been any better for star gazing.

Total Observation time: 2 Hours, 30 Minutes

March 14th, 2014

Today, as it was fairly clear after the slight bit of rain, I was able to see, in detail, the Milky Way, clearer than I had ever seen it before. I was also able to see the very bright Waxing gibbous face. i was also able to identify the Pleiades, Orion, Triangulum, Ursa Major, Cepheus and Cassiopeia.

Total Observation Time: 1 Hour

No comments:

Post a Comment